Tips to Keep Your Kids and Pets Safe on 4th of July

Posted on July 3, 2014

231-fourth-of-july-fireworks-hero

Happy 4th of July!

It’s our nation’s birthday and it’s time to celebrate! We’ve all heard the warnings about keeping fireworks away from dry brush and keeping extra water on hand to extinguish a possible flair-up, but how often do you think about your pets and children during the festivities? We’ve outlined a few precautions you should take to ensure every member of your family enjoys a safe and sane holiday.

Safety Tips for Children Using Sparklers

Did you know that sparklers can heat up to 1,200 degrees? These seemingly innocent fireworks can cause major burns for you and your little ones. Before you light one up, keep these tips from the National Council of Fireworks Safety in mind.

  • Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
  • Never hold, or light, more than one sparkler at a time.
  • Never throw sparklers.
  • Sparkler wire and stick remain hot long after the flame has gone out.¬† Be sure to drop spent sparklers in a bucket of water.
  • Teach children not to wave sparklers, or run, while holding sparklers.
  • Always stand up when using sparklers.

 Safety Tips For Pets

While we all enjoy a great 4th of July party with fireworks, our four-legged friends don’t. Please keep these tips from the ASPCA and ABC30 in mind while celebrating our nation’s birthday.

Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Stomach irritation and possible central nervous system depression may occur if ingested.

Never use fireworks around pets. Fireworks contain toxic chemicals like potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals, which pose a health hazard your pets. Not to mention the risk of burns or the animal running away.

Public firework displays are no fun for pets. Between the crowds and the noise, large firework displays have the potential to scare your pet. Resist the urge to bring them and make sure they are in a safe escape-proof spot at your home. Turn on the TV or radio to help block out outside noise.

Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.

Photo Sources: CNN.com and hiltonheadisland.org