There is no getting around it. It’s just hot outside. It is supposed to reach 108 degrees at our Fresno office today. Unfortunately, high temperatures + running the air conditioner = higher electric bills.
Luckily for you, the above equation can have a happier ending with a little planning. We’ve selected 10 helpful energy saving tips that will hopefully help keep your electric bill down during the hot summer months.
Did You Know?
10 Energy Saving Tips That Can Save You Money
- Set your air conditioner thermostat as high a comfortably possible. It has been recommended setting the thermostat to 78 degrees or higher when at home and 85 degrees while away.
- Using a ceiling fan instead of an air conditioner will allow you to raise your thermostat setting by four degrees.
- Turn off your fan when you leave the room. Fans only cool people, not the actual room.
- Replace and clean your air filters – it can reduce your air conditioners energy consumption by 5-15 percent.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed during the day to keep temperature cooler. OR install energy-efficient window coverings that let natural light in and prevent solar heat gain.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night to help minimize heat output within your home.
- Unplug extra refrigerators and appliances that aren’t in use.
- Wash clothes in cold water and clean out the lint trap in your dryer after every use.
- Reduce your pool filtration time by 30 minute increments daily. Continue to reduce the time as long as the water stays clean. Some owners find that they only need to run the filer 6-7 hours a day.
- Make sure you keep all of your precious cool air inside the house by sealing holes and cracks near windows and doors.
Want to do more? It may be time to install a home automation system in your home. Control lights, thermostats and much more all from your phone!